View Single Post
Old 8-Mar-2016, 1:57 PM   #1
Photo848

Help with Reception - Central NJ

I have been using an OTA antenna mounted on my roof for about 3 years and for the most part the signal I receive is fairly good. On occasion I have some channels drop out but I believe it to be mostly from atmospheric conditions as they tend to come back. I am pointed to NYC and receive most of the stations there. In addition I capture a few channels from Philadelphia I assume off the back end of my antenna. I consider this a bonus.

I have Winegard HD 7084P Antenna with a Winegard AP8700 pre-amp. My cable is a 75 foot run into the house where it meets the pre-amp power module then goes to a 4 way splitter. 3 of those runs from the splitter are between 40 to 60 feet to the TV's and the 4th is a 2 foot run. As mentioned I generally get okay reception. Here is a link to my mapping -> http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5134e741080622

Now to my questions:

I recently added an HDHomerun Connect device to the system hoping to stream the TV signals to a media player. I first used the the two foot run from the 4 way splitter and was having trouble receiving channels through the media player. I noticed that some of the channels I was having trouble with had signal strength readings of 78-84%. So I went to a 2 way splitter immediately from the pre-amp power module and ran one line to the HDHomerun device and the other to the 4 way splitter. The TV's from the 4 way splitter still perform as the did prior to this change and the signal to the HDHomerun device improved to a signal strength of 86-92% on most channels. However I am confused as to why as an example, channel 4.1 comes in great on my HDHomerun device but channel 4.2 which is on the same frequency breaks up and pixelates, I should mention that I don't see this as a problem on the normal TV's. Is there anything I can do to improve the signal any more? Someone suggested using a Winegard LNA-100 amplifier between the 2 way splitter and the HDHomerun device, would this work? If not are there any other suggestions you might have.

If you need any additional information please let me know.

Thanks!
Photo848 is offline   Reply With Quote