View Single Post
Old 2-Apr-2016, 4:50 AM   #2
ZippyTheChicken

well I tested a few configurations of the Solid Signal Xtreme Signal HDB8X antenna and I can get some stations without my amps which is good.. unfortunately the preamps don't pass signal as good when they aren't getting power.. pretty much shut the signal down.. they should make them to passthrough but thats another story..

so as it is sitting at this moment

I have half of the 8bay pointed at 275deg for Baltimore and the other half pointed at 31 for Philly .. then i mounted the CS 4V under that .. almost touching under.. and have that pointed at about 40deg..

the 8bay has a rca 22db amp and the cs4 has my 7777 amp on it .. its the only way i can get channel 12 real...

It is really finiky to point and its going to be difficult once i really install it..

I get a few channels I didn't expect like REV tv which is a car station..

But I can't get fox baltimore and also get some other stations I want .. its a trade off i guess but I do get a lot of stations..

I can deal with getting a lot of decent stations even if reception isn't perfect and I am guessing my tv tuner won't lock to a bunch of them but maybe I can watch them anyway...

Its free tv .. Its gonna be a good alternative because I am expecting an economic shortfall soon and this will keep TV in my home.. I will still have internet but my plan wont allow for streaming much more than a single video from youtube which is dumbed down a lot.. thats ok

As long as I can watch some news and have something I can put on for background noise.. It will be more than enough I assume.. and if not I will just have to take up wood working and garden more .. heh

I did rewire the antenna with solid core copper RG6 .. it may have helped .. I also used two splitters one is a standard dual direction which i put on the 8bay to connect the two sides.. the other is a power passing connector from the same company so I could put my Amps on the antenna side of the first splitter which connects the CS4v and the 8Bay.. I didn't want to amp after the splitter.. still these things are labeled 4db insertion loss not 3.5db .. blah what can you do it is difficult to find splitter/combiners that pass voltage on both sides of a 2 port splitter.. most are only passing on one side because they are powering dishes and the antenna side doesn't have dc passed. which means amping after the splitter would be required.

ah well I am guessing when i position the antennas for final position I will seperate the CS4v and the 8bay by about a yard or more and cut a new cable to do that.

I have to thank some guy out in southern california who did a writeup on the Solid Signal antennas.. he did a real nice write up and it was helpful in making my decision to fork out $75 for this antenna.

his name is Pete Higgins .. don't know if he is still around but I am glad he was.. seems like a nice guy..
ZippyTheChicken is offline   Reply With Quote