View Single Post
Old 6-Jan-2011, 3:44 PM   #4
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngclarkh View Post
I am not using an amplifier so I suspect the multi path due to rugged terrain is more likely the issue. The antenna I am using seems like it has directivity. What specific antenna do you suggest?

The reason I don't use an amplifier is that the transmitter is only 9 miles away. Is that false logic?
I would not use an amplifier either.

If you're having trouble with the UHF stations from 9.1 miles away the 91XG is the right antenna. You can either tilt the antenna up a few degrees above the top of the ridge (7.4°) to the north of you, or find a spot with clear ground in front of the antenna and lower the antenna to about 3' off the ground. Play with the height and aiming until all the UHF stations are reliable. If you're having trouble with the VHF station, KGUN; either a Y10-7-13 or YA1713 are good choices. The optimum height for the VHF antenna will be about 7'. Use a UVSJ to add the antennas together.

I derived the height recommendations by calculating the angle to the nearest ridge using google maps and trigonometry and then determine the optimum antenna height to steer the beam upwards at the desired angle using EZNEC.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote