View Single Post
Old 19-Nov-2013, 3:10 PM   #19
WillyV

Bedford County PA Reception

Teleview, http://www.pappadish.com/free-to-air.html is another link with a good explanation of "free to air" satellite tv and required equipment. It mentioned eliptical shaped dishes. What's your take on them?

Moving ahead, whether I choose the free to air "local" antenna or "satellite" approach, I'd prefer not to mount anything on my roof since it requires "roof time" and holes which can cause potential roof leaks etc. Yeah, I know I'm paranoid and may even eat these words but it is what it is....

Instead, I would affix an antenna support pole to the side of my house that would run vertically from a point slightly above where the concrete foundataion meets the bottom most point of my exterior / log wall. The pole / post would terminate at a point that would be 3 - 4' above my roof peake.

One concern with this configurataion however would be the existance of a stainless steel chimney within 4 - 6feet of the antenna. Right now, I'm thinking that the antenna would actually be 1 - 2' higher than the chimney but this is speculation. Would that compromise the antennas functionality?

Alternative antenna / post placement would be at the other end of the house which would require a long run of cable to the TV etc.

Or, placing the antenna and post off of the house in the yard which actually might be the best approach. If I use this method, I assume the antenna wire running from the post to the house should be burried underground in PVC pipe, right?

Finally, since the house is new and grounded thru the bottom of the foundation, can you advise what additional steps I should take regarding the grounding of an antenna or dish? Well, I know this is a lot but I do appreciate all comments. Thanks again.
WillyV is offline   Reply With Quote