View Single Post
Old 5-Sep-2020, 9:51 PM   #27
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by verder
Yesterday I assembled an MClapp antenna out of spare 12-2 copper wire I had laying around. I also made a Gray-Hoverman w/NARODs (no reflector version) using 8 gauge bare copper wire I picked up at the Big Orange Box Store.

I haven't tried either one at elevation -- just in my backyard at ground level to see what SpectrumSpy reported. Nothing to write home about but it's more or less what I expected. The siding from my house + the siding from the shed + the trees + ground elevation all come together I'm sure to attenuate things.

Today's fun will be to see if either are suitable for attic installation. I'm using a simple wood "backbone" for assembly so neither would survive the elements. I'm also curious about how well (or horrible) an attic installation is. The thing about the attic is that somewhat near my network center where my Tablo is, so I'd be able to deal with a much shorter run of cable (not that my current run is all that excessive.) From there, I'll probably look into mounting things on PVC tubing and mount it near the location of the 4Max.

Last night, I also happened on discussion about the Antop AT-400BV. I think that would be an interesting antenna to try out. If it's a bust I could always return it.

Finally, I'm working with Tablo support on Tablo to see why my failed recordings are happening. I'm curious to find out what they say.
Sounds like you have some interesting experiments planned.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote