View Single Post
Old 1-Sep-2020, 10:17 PM   #13
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsme View Post
This is not looking too difficult. SDRSharp is downloaded as a zip file and rtlsdr scanner has an installation file. The scanner is what allows you to see the entire channel (or multiples), right?
Uh, no; not exactly. I edited my post #11 above and added an image and a video. Please look at it.

I have used 3 SDRs:

For $25 you can buy an RTL-SDR.COM V3 dongle and download SDR# software. With it you will only be able to see part of a TV channel. The dongle will only show about 2 MHz, not a whole TV channel which is 6 MHz wide.

If you use the free open-source DIY spectrum analyzer software (RTLSDR Scanner) for the dongle, you can see more than one channel. You have to assemble the software yourself in a folder to use it. The way it is able to show more than one channel is by stitching together sections to make the entire scan.

If you want to see the whole channel with ready-to-use software, you have to buy an SDRplay RSP1A SDR ($100) and download the SDRuno software.

If you want a spectrum analyzer with ready-to-use software you have to buy an Airspy R2 SDR ($200) and download the SDR# software which will include the Spectrum Spy Spectrum Analyzer software.
Quote:
Sorry to appropriate the thread from the OP.
The OP and I are both interested in SDRs and feel that they are a useful tool for solving reception problems. I don't think we went too far off topic.

Last edited by rabbit73; 1-Sep-2020 at 10:33 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote