View Single Post
Old 14-May-2021, 2:55 PM   #1
deeciple

Strange "backwards" pickup pattern

Hi all,

I have been playing around with different antenna setups, trying to get the best signal possible and have done very well with the help of this forum (props to rabbit73).

I have a RCA mini Yagi mounted in my attic with a Winegard LNA-100 amp. I was getting great signal but lately I have noticed that the signal quality from WCNC and WSOC has weakened. While adjusting my antenna I discovered something strange. WCNC is roughly to the NW and WSOC is more to the north but if I move my antenna to the left (toward what would be WCNC) WSOC actually becomes stronger with better signal quality at the expense of WCNC. The opposite behavior is also true.

I find this to be very strange. My only guess is that it is attributed to multi-path propagation but that s just a guess. Does anyone have an idea what could be the cause of this bizarre behavior? I am considering this antenna as it has gotten good reviews and with it's smaller size it would be easier to point. I have also read that it is more directional which I am hoping will help reduce any multi-path issues.

Here is my TV Fool report.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

UPDATE:

So upon further inspection, it seems that the TV Fool report has WSOC more to the west of WCNC, which is consistent with my pickup pattern. But the FCC map and the RabbitEars both have it the other way around. Which is right?

Last edited by deeciple; 14-May-2021 at 4:55 PM.
deeciple is offline   Reply With Quote