View Single Post
Old 27-Jan-2017, 7:40 PM   #8
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Is there a meter of some sort that one can use to locate the best signal(s) available at a particular site?
Yes, there are signal level meters. They are expensive and must be connected to a search antenna. Here are two of mine:

The Sadelco 719E on the left was designed for analog signals, but it is useful for measuring digital signals. The Sadelco DisplayMax 800 on the right is for analog and digital signals.

I was having trouble receiving CH 42 because my antenna was facing the wrong direction. The signal was strong enough, but the signal quality was poor; the tuner as not able to pick it up during a scan.

I went across the street and setup a 2-bay UHF antenna, my meter, and a preamp. I was able to get a nice scan and a stronger signal with the antenna aimed at the transmitter for CH42.

Interestingly, when I moved the antenna a few feet left or right, without changing the height or azimuth, there was a big difference in the signal strength and scan quality. This is most likely because of the tree line in front of the antenna about 200 ft away which created the non-uniform field.

If your TV has a signal strength indicator, it can be used to make comparative measurements.

Last edited by rabbit73; 27-Jan-2017 at 7:58 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote