Thread: Antenna Newbie
View Single Post
Old 20-Apr-2011, 6:53 AM   #41
GroundUrMast

How severe is your weather? The 5' tripod and a 10' mast section would be a bit of over build for an ANT-751 in mild parts of the country. The same holding a larger HD769X series is not over-built IMO.

Here in the northwest, we get 100 MPH storms once every 10 to 20 years. I won't guaranty my antenna and mast will survive the next big one. I have made it through a couple of 50 to 60 MPH storms though.

Coax next to ground wire is not a problem.

I have used dielectric grease, also sold as tune-up grease. Auto parts stores sell it for use on spark plug boots and bulb sockets. I have heard of reports of signal loss, though I have not had such experience. My primary objective is to fill the weather boot with grease, not the connector.

A splitter rated for 5 to 900 MHz is enough bandwidth. Splitters are inexpensive. Home Depot sells Ideal brand last I looked and their return policy is as liberal as one could hope for. If you are not sure of the serviceability of your existing splitter, substitute a new one. The Ideal branded units are rated 5 to 1000 MHz, more than enough bandwidth. (No need to spend extra money on satellite system splitters with 2+ GHz ratings.)

FWIW: Channel 2 starts at 54 MHz, channel 69 ends at 806 MHz.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 20-Apr-2011 at 7:09 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote