Thread: Antenna Help!
View Single Post
Old 9-Sep-2011, 2:52 PM   #19
Ziffster

Question

Thought I would post a couple of related questions regarding accessories.
  1. Have you observed any difference between RG-6U cable brands and/or the general purpose quad shield and the twin shield rated specifically for use outdoors?
  2. Have you observed any difference between the $1 generic units and the $8 premium models of components like the 2-way passive splitter and UVSJ?
  3. Any thoughts regarding instead of installing the 300 to 75 transformer on each then combining the two instead use a 300 to 75 transformer / coupler like Winegard's SD 3700?
  4. Any opinion on Delhi GN18 (27lb/section) versus Rohn G25(40lb/section)? Assume 50' tower with poured cement base & braced at 12' & 35' (personally I'm leaning towards the Delhi since easier is will be easier to put up a 150lb antenna than a 220lb antenna.
  5. Finally, any thoughts on if lightening surge arrestors are worthwhile?
At our old place (where I had put up the tower) I had installed a lightening surge on the house side of the pre-amp power supply. Even with the tower hit twice in five years by lightening (part of the reason wife allows the tower is that it seems to gets hit rather than the house) never had problems other than both times the preamp power supply was fried (remarkably the preamp itself survived). However I never really came to a conclusion is the surge arrestor had protected the downstream equipment or if the power supply for the preamp had been what 'trapped' the surge.

Last edited by Ziffster; 9-Sep-2011 at 4:12 PM.
Ziffster is offline   Reply With Quote