View Single Post
Old 30-Dec-2013, 9:05 PM   #2
elmo

Here's something to consider. The 4 & 8 bays you are talking about are designed as UHF antennas. They may tune some VHF, but your success with that will be less than optimal. At quick glance, Ch 6 for instance could be hard to tune with those. You could always add a 2nd VHF only antenna aimed right at Ch 6 if that was the only VHF reception you required. If you check your chart, the box at the bottom will detail the channels on the VHF side that you can receive. They split it into VHF Lo & Hi. The lower the value, the harder that it will be to tune w/o dedicated VHF elements. You see those on the triangular style antennas - the long rods tune the VHF for you.

As for the attic, any chance you can go roof mount instead? You'd have more options with a rotor if you go that route. Plus the attic can be hard for obtaining a good signal vs outdoors.

Keep in mind that rotors can be a pain for surfing channels and for DVR's, so if you can avoid that, you'll likely be happier. But if it adds value by bringing in another market, then maybe it's a good option. I'd take a quick survey of what's around you and see what you really will watch. There's times when I wish I had more selection, but even with what I can tune, some channels I might as well drop from my list as I just never watch them.

I'll add this - if the Freevision you tested pulled in the majority of them, well, why not go with that? Once you get down to single digit NM levels, solid reception will be tough. There's no better test than an antenna on hand. If it had some particular misses or issues, that'd be helpful to know.

Last edited by elmo; 30-Dec-2013 at 9:10 PM.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote