View Single Post
Old 21-May-2016, 12:56 AM   #7
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsgarage

Project one 95% complete...

Well, This one is just about done.

I bought a 91XG and a Stellar Labs 30-2426 and stacked them. I used an RCA PREAMP1 to combine them. Signal strength was over 82% before I raised the mast over the trees.

I am using input one on my Toshiba TV.

I also added my super duty mast thrust bearing as far up as I could get it. My light duty design is there also for test purposes.

I moved the Guyed thrust bearing much higher and sleeved the 1 3/8" Pipe with the 1" SCH40 and thru bolted them to make them work together and cut down on twist. Those modifications should make it much more stout.

Although I went a little higher, I am satisfied with my tree clearance.

Here's the new video, much longer than the other:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pa3udess4...20002.MP4?dl=0

Project # 2 will involve my HDB91X and another 30-2476. Basically all my leftover stuff. It will not be so ambitious. I will use another RCA PREAMP1R ($20 at Amazon) and combine those 2 on my old tripod.

I'll use the Input 2 on my TV. Later, I may try to combine project 1 & 2 signals (so I don't have to keep rotating). If it doesn't work I will just have to switch inputs.

I bought the 2 UVSJ's but didn't use them when I found about the RCA pre amps. I read some decent stuff on these pre-amps so I bought 2. I know they are not Kitz but probably good enough for my situation.

Thanks, Bob
Hi, Bob:

You are making a lot of progress.
Quote:
I bought a 91XG and a Stellar Labs 30-2426 and stacked them.
30-2426? You must mean 30-2476.

The mast sounds much more safe and secure.

Thanks for the new video. It's just like I'm up there with the antennas; very exciting.

Quote:
I bought the 2 UVSJ's but didn't use them when I found about the RCA pre amps. I read some decent stuff on these pre-amps so I bought 2. I know they are not Kitz but probably good enough for my situation.
The RCA preamps are inexpensive and perform well, but there have been some quality control problems. In particular, there is a problem with the separate/combined switch. When in the separate position, sometimes the switch doesn't make good contact with the VHF antenna. The fix is to switch to the combined position and use the UVSJ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bobsgarageTVFant1.JPG (35.7 KB, 1110 views)
File Type: jpg bobsgarageTVFant2.JPG (107.0 KB, 1047 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 21-May-2016 at 2:02 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote