View Single Post
Old 29-Dec-2009, 4:32 AM   #1
Rosa

My converter box makes a great weather station!

Here is my tvfool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...4105118eb1bf6e

I have an RCA converter box, and a UHF/VHF antenna, which has an amplifier.

I was watching the available DTV channels for a year or two before the transition. After the transition, several of the Bay Area stations moved the location of their broadcast antenna on Sutro Tower in San Francisco, work that wasn't completed until October. I lost ABC7 KGO-DT for a while after October, but I can get it most of the time now. I regularly have to rescan and sometimes even do the power off thing, which is supposed to clear the converter's memory.

It seems to me that certain weather patterns interfere with the reception. Is that possible with DTV? I can pretty much guarantee that about 20 minutes after the picture starts pixelating and the sound starts popping, the wind will get up and rain will fall. That's about the time it takes for a weather cell to cross San Francisco Bay.

ALSO, I have never been able to get KNTV-DT (NBC). It's transmitted from a different tower down in the South Bay. Yet, I can get KFTL-CA, which seems from your Google Earth map to be transmitted from a tower in nearly the same location. How important is the angle at which the signal leaves the transmitter?

Another question, do TV stations increase/decrease their power at certain times of the day? Could that be a factor in reception?

Thanks,
Rosa
Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote