View Single Post
Old 1-Jan-2013, 9:40 PM   #12
elmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenguy View Post
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Wifey wants to get rid of cable too, but she is less than thrilled about 8' wide by 8' long antenna being visible from the street like the dimensions for the HD7084P. Think it would look like we went back 3-4 decades tech wise lol

Do you think it would be possible to mount it in the attic and still get reception?

Or maybe mount it so that it is below the peak of the roof so it's not visible from the street? note the back side of our house and roof points roughly east and towards the signals from NYC to my own roof wouldn't be blocking it (see pic above)

having great luck with XBMC so not concerned about losing cable channels nor sports as most of the stuff I want is accessible. And her Housewives bs will 'unfortunately' not be available
Well, that decades old technology is still bringing you the best picture available. That's what's really sad about cable/dish, but they're in the business of showing you commercials so more compression = more channels = more commercials.

The top of the house doesn't have to be the location. My antenna is mounted on the lower roof on the back, as it has to point across the back yard. Only my next door neighbor can see it. He told me I could get basic cable (locals plus some junk) for $25/mth. I said "I can get it and more for free, with better picture quality too."

You can try the attic as well. Just test it out - no harm - but signals will be compromised of course. Just go as high as you can. I have a little DB2 in the attic that picks up a nearby signal for one station, which is good enough.

XBMC is cool. I've been playing w/it and now use it for Amazon videos, and likely more in the future. Next step is to setup some DVR software for it.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote