View Single Post
Old 30-Nov-2012, 2:33 PM   #1
greenguy

Question New to OTA but would love to ditch cable. How is my signal analysis?

After Hurricane Sandy tore through NJ and left many of us powerless, heatless, and cableless; it was even more frustrating to get power back but have no cable!

Also looking at a $100 a month cable bill can get rather irritating as well!

So that got me searching for info on using antennas instead, and I stumbled upon TVFool.com. I used the tools here on the website to get information on my location, however since I am such a neophyte I don't understand how to interpret the results nor what my next step should be. Thank you in advance for any assistance or guidance!

Looks like I am about 20.5 miles West of most of the NY stations, here is my Signal Analysis:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cc493f99e2f357

Some more info about my location, my backyard faces East towards NYC and the stations I would like to receive OTA. We are approximately 250' above sea level and I am on a ridge line and the way back of my lot has a 30-40' cliff down to the valley floor where the Passaic River runs through. My backyard slopes away from my house so even though we have several large trees back there (75 footers), only a couple are taller than my house.

I am open to running an antenna in the house, in the attic, or on the roof. The only recent experience I have with OTA signals is my friend's Leaf antenna (I can't believe a laminated piece of paper looking antenna can pick up signals, however he is LOS to NYC (literally out his window) and nearly 10 miles closer to the stations.

Please let me know your thoughts on if it would be possible to ditch cable and start receiving signals OTA. Also recommendations on antenna type and location would be very helpful. I am an avid DIYer (on both the house and our cars) so I have faith in being able to handle whatever is needed as far as fabrication, installation, etc
greenguy is offline   Reply With Quote