View Single Post
Old 18-Dec-2014, 6:38 AM   #5
StephanieS

Glad to help.

As ADTech points out, the Y5713 isn't really designed for the 88 - 108 mhz band. Older and some modern low-VHF/high-VHF/UHF models are also marketed for FM reception due to support for channel 6, which the Y5713 isn't designed for. Thus, FM improvement while perhaps slight with a Y5713 there may be better options.

You can split a DB8e/Y5713 feed to your stereo and test if FM reception is adequate to magnetic 86 before considering any additional options.

I would prioritize the Y5713 on the high-VHF TV signals as when you start pointing away from the CBS/FOX and PBS translators, you run the risk of losing parts of their signal. With your PBS especially on real channel 13, you need to give the Y5713 the best chance for successful reception as it is very low power. Pointing away from these signals you may find digital breakup may start happening. In short, with signals of this strength, give your antenna the best opportunity at reception by pointing dead on, or nearly dead on at the desired signal.

If your FM reception with the Y5713 orientated to magnetic isn't as desired. I would add a FM specific antenna in a Antennacraft FM6. This antenna is purpose built for the 88 - 108mhz band. This will be advantageous because it frees up your TV antennas to be TV antennas without making them work with signals they weren't designed for, it it eliminates the need to split the coax down to the TV and your FM reception will likely improve compared to patching in to the high-VHF and UHF band antennas. (unless you want to add multiple TVs)

I realize I've just suggested you add a 3rd antenna. If you had a single heading for your signals and you could use an all-band (low-VHF/high-vhf/UHF) model I'd suggest it. Here though, with your headings and lower signal strengths and lack of low-VHF - it's not a good fit for you. You could mount the FM antenna elsewhere on the roof.

On your 7' mast, you can shave the spacing down to 3' between the DB8e and the Y5713. The reason for the spacing is that if you get both antennas too close to each other they begin to disrupt each other with the result being a loss in performance.

Hardware stores sell a 10' chain link fence pole that doubles nicely as a antenna mast.

The digital switchover and phasing out of many low-VHF (channels 2-6) signals has left many folks with antennas that are no longer the best fit for their reception needs. Updating to the modern reality sometimes is a pain.

Best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalyDisabled View Post
StephanieS thank-you for your prompt and thorough reply.
Just a couple of questions. Your recommendation for the orientation of the VHF antenna is 86º for the CBS et.al. translator, while my favorite FM station translator is at 143º according to my FM profile. (My understanding is that FM is in the mid-VHF range) Will I be able to tweak the orientation of the antenna to get good reception from both or do I need to throw some more money at this. Secondly, you recommend a 4' spread between the 2 antenna. With a 7 ft mast, this puts the lower antenna pretty close to the roof. Why the spread and can I cheat it somewhat, or do I need to lower the roof? Does it matter which antenna is on top?

Cheers and Happy Holidays: SD
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote