View Single Post
Old 15-Dec-2014, 7:14 PM   #2
StephanieS

Greetings,

It appears you have translators that can with some planning provide you the "big 5." Also, without details of your old antenna and it's design it's hard to tell if the antenna is past its prime or that due to the changing nature of broadcast signals that it is no longer the proper application.

The translators provide the following programming:
K07QC-D: CBS and FOX
K27KP-D: ABC, Telemundo, CW
K46MR-D: ABC (details sketchy on this translator's programming)
K13QE-D: PBS
K51HF: NBC (Analog)

There are multiple headings to contend with. Also, these translators are all between 1000 and 10 watts, so an obstruction free path is essential to reception success.

If I were installing I would focus on real channels 7, 27, 13 and 51. You'll notice there are two broadcast bands to contend with: high-VHF and UHF which means in this case a two antenna system. Due to the the moderate/moderate low signal strengths the first antenna would be a UHF design Antennas Direct DB8e. This antenna features the ability to swivel each panel to a unique heading. In your situation, I would focus one panel to magnetic heading 143 (ABC, Telemundo, CW). The second panel I would aim to magnetic heading 82 (NBC analog). The second antenna would be a high-VHF design Antennacraft Y5713. Orientate antenna to magnetic heading 86 (CBS, PBS, FOX)

The installation would look like this except for the Y5713 would be about 4' below the DB8e:

The Yagi type antenna has its place, however that antenna design tends to be very narrow beamed. The translation is that if you are working with several different directions, you may not see all the signals you want and thus may need something more adaptable, which enter the DB8e.

If you are running 70' of coax a preamp may not be needed. Instead, I'd opt for a Antenna's Direct EU385CF signal combiner which mounts on your mast and combines a VHF only and a UHF only antenna into one coax coming into your home. If running to one TV and one stereo, a regular splitter ought to be fine.

Note: This set up does not require a rotor. This is a bolted down configuration.

Cheers.

Last edited by StephanieS; 15-Dec-2014 at 7:34 PM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote