View Single Post
Old 19-Apr-2021, 11:17 PM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria Whitsett View Post
Hi friends,

I know this is a tv site, but I have a problem with my radio antennas and I don't know where else to turn.

I listen to AM radio. I have one in each room of my apartment, and all worked fine till last week, when suddenly they all developed so much static that they're unlistenable. I moved the positions of the radios and their antennas, but that didn't help. I deduced that something changed, but that I was not the cause of it.

Does anyone have any information or advice for me? Thanks.
Hello, Victoria; welcome to the forum.

We will try to help you as best we can.

It is true that some TVs can cause interference. Other devices can cause similar interference: AC adapters for laptop computers, battery chargers, and many types of lighting.

I think the most likely cause is the new types of lighting, like CFLs and LEDs.

I suggest you use a battery operated portable radio tuned to the AM broadcast band to hunt for sources of the interference. Most portable radios have a built-in antenna that is directional which might help you in hunting for a source. This is the one I use:

If you still can't locate the source of interference, or are unable to do anything about it even if you do know the cause, I suggest you listen to FM. That's what my sister does; she likes NPR.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jensen MR-550_2.jpg (96.6 KB, 1433 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 19-Apr-2021 at 11:30 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote