View Single Post
Old 3-Sep-2020, 10:38 PM   #24
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by verder
I saw the antenna plans. I've actually considered putting together a Gray-Hoverman antenna. That might be a good Labor Day project!
You might need to do the GH with NARODS for PBS.

Quote:
I'm considering getting either a cheap HDHomeRun or perhaps a Hauppauge TV tuner. These include signal meter, signal quality, and symbol quality information that are provided by GUIs / phone apps. Curious if others out there have gone this route and what signal information they've been able to use to their advantage.
I compared the two. Both work, but I prefer the HDHR.

Here is a calibration chart for the HDHR. 100% SS is 0 dBmV = -48.8 dBm. Actually it's calibrated in the factory for 60 dBuV = 0 dBmV. Antenna installers and cable guys in other countries use dBuV instead of dBmV.

Tuners can handle much stronger signals.

Quote:
I'm currently in contact with Tablo support to see why I'm getting pixelation and failed recordings. I asked about their device providing real-time diag info. They said their engineers are investigating supplying this info, but there is nothing definite at this point.
I wonder if the Tablo tuner is as good as a TV tuner, especially with multipath caused by the trees. If you made a side by side comparison, you might need a low gain preamp before splitting; 100 ft of coax acts like a 5 dB attenuator for UHF. If you mount a preamp at the antenna, it should be a medium gain preamp resistant to overload.

Last edited by rabbit73; 5-Sep-2020 at 1:15 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote