View Single Post
Old 2-Jan-2011, 3:57 AM   #1
yow

Cut cable in Ottawa ON?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...da325ea0f1469a

I currently have Rogers Cable TV, the full analog package (the one that includes TCM and AMC). I intend to cancel the cable subscription but living in a townhouse, I can't put up an exterior antenna (even the Bell dishes here are on a tripod not mounted to the wall).

My TV is a CRT so I'm not interested in receiving HD or even digital particularly, I would like to keep getting at least CBC and CTV (or whatever local signals are best) and will live on recorded programming and DVDs.

The linked report suggests a set-top antenna will likely get me analog stations CBC, SRC, CTV, Global, and CHCH (VHF), and Omni-1, Omni-2, A-Channel, CITY, TVO, TQS, and Crossroads (UHF). Twenty years ago, I tried Radio Shack's best set-top antenna in two Ottawa homes and got no useful signals, but I'm happy to try again (for what Rogers charges on this package, its either OTA or nothing).

I believe Canada is going all-digital later in 2011 and I don't know whether to plan for that or just deal with analog for now (the list of digital stations is even shorter than the analog list).

Any advice will be appreciated. Though I'd prefer not to mount a 3'x3' antenna in my living room if possible.

Thanks!
=aw
yow is offline   Reply With Quote