View Single Post
Old 24-Sep-2012, 3:48 AM   #2
mtownsend

A few quick comments/questions:

1) With the long cable runs and 4-way split, a pre-amp is definitely recommended. The Winegard AP-8275 is a good choice for this, since it will overcome all the losses caused by any downstream cables and splitters. Just make sure the amp body installed up close to the antenna (within a few feet) to optimize performance. The power supply part of the amp should be installed indoors, and it's best to keep a straight shot between the power supply and the amp body (no splitters or other components in between to interfere with power delivery to the amp).

I would have expected the Winegard amp to make things better, rather than worse, so it makes me wonder if the amp was getting a clean power feed at the time you tested it.

2) With the Winegard pre-amp installed, you don't really need an amplified splitter (passive or active splitter will work). If you want to use your amplified splitter, it should go after the power injector for the Winegard amp to avoid interfering with the pre-amp's power delivery.

3) Does the antenna path toward the TV stations clear your own roof? It wasn't clear if the installed location was sufficiently high enough to clear all nearby obstructions. Ideally, the antenna should be high enough to clear the roof by at least a few feet (~4-5).

4) With a properly installed pre-amp and a downstream splitter sharing the signal to all TVs in the house, I would expect all of the TVs to get roughly the same set of channels.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote