View Single Post
Old 7-Sep-2014, 2:02 PM   #6
tomfoolery

If it were me, I'd put an HBU33 or 44 aimed at the Rochester towers on Pinnacle Hill, and just stop there, at least initially. I don't see anything in Buffalo that you can't get in Rochester, unless you want local news or certain sports broadcasts. CW in Rochester is on real 13/virtual 13.2, by the way.

For the Buffalo and/or Toronto stations, I think you'll need more antenna. If forgoing Buffalo and just concentrating on Toronto, a DB8e with the panels aimed apart a little may be enough that you don't need a rotator. But I don't think it has enough gain with one aimed at Buffalo and the other at Toronto.

But you never know. I can actually get one of the Buffalo stations, from 70 miles away and aimed into trees, with a DB4e in my attic and single digit NM figure, though it's not really watchable. But I'm amazed it even registers on the TV tuner at all.

The front to back rejection of any of those high-gain antennas is pretty high, so I don't think you'll get reliable reception off the back, unless you aim it at Buffalo and try to get Rochester off the back. But that looks pretty iffy to me. But there's no harm in trying, especially if you're starting with an HBU33/44 anyway.

Just my two cents.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote