View Single Post
Old 2-Oct-2018, 10:38 PM   #11
Statmanmi

Hi Bob,

You're welcome for the help. Those of us watching this tread learn more information from each of your posts.

See if I'm understanding correctly:

* Your garage is the unattached building kind of in the back yard, when I zoom in on your address on Google maps. No wonder you don't want to run coax through the air from on top of the house to the garage. (I had mistaken the lower southern portion of your home for being an attached garage.) Thus, improving reception their doesn't help you and the family inside the home.

* You can point an antenna north and not have trees blocking its line of sight to one of the Muskegon TV towers. But the trees are in the way for the tower to the northeast.

* When you point the other antenna to the southeast, it lines up with the power line transformer. (Glad they upgraded that, as apparently the older one was basically leaking radio wave energy more than the new one.)

* You have some sort of power supply in line, with it being closer to the antennas than the distribution amp.

Please advise if I have any of the above incorrect. It would affect how I ask these next questions. Please also don't be offended with these questions--I'm wanting to help.

> Are you sure you have the two TV towers north of you in mind correctly? Both TV Fool and the RabbitEars chart that Rabbit73 included above note that both the 17.1s that you might receive are at 18 degrees True North (around 24 degrees magnetic), and that the 8.1 (real frequency 46) and 29.1 (RF29) are closer to Wolf Lake, at 67 degrees/73 on a compass?

> Do you still have the RCA Yagi that you showed the picture of in the 2016 thread? If you point that to the southeast, and have only its coax go to the distribution amp (without the combiner), does that ever get you 8.1 (NBC from WOOD) or even 3.1 (CBS from WMMT)? Those would be their main signals from the Gun Lake area. It has the wider dipole elements that are needed for Hi-VHF, unlike the HDB8X that is optimized for UHF.

> If you drive around your neighborhood, what do you see up on other people's homes, and in what direction? My guess is that many have the longer yagis like you noted in your 2014 thread (the Winegard HD 7698P, although you likely wouldn't need one that long). I've geeked out so much on OTA that my teenage son rolls his eyes when I'm glancing at people's roofs and comment on their aerials.

Cheers!
Statmanmi
Statmanmi is offline   Reply With Quote