View Single Post
Old 16-Dec-2009, 5:15 PM   #8
herplace

Thanks Andy,
I think I'm slowly getting the ideas here. This truly is a very helpful site!
I was able to check on the coax that was used for the attic run and it is indeed RG59 as you suspected. I am sure there is some of the thicker stuff around here because I found a piece of some that makes me certain I got it off a spool. I'll have to keep looking. The piece has some very tiny writing on it and I can make out "electronic type" 75 ohm, and series 6, unlike the thinner stuff this doesn't have RG particularly indicated but it is thicker and I assume the Series 6 would refer to what you're recommending. Hmm, just where did that spool get misplaced? If I give up perhaps I'll just spring for this RG6 or RG11 you mentioned. If I understand your guidance: Putting RG11 into the run will assure the best practical 30' loss protection? Today's other questions would be: When I get brave enough to explore the attic what kind of things ought I look for in the way of alignment of the various parts of the antenna? I wonder how perfect all those bristles at the back end of the boom have to be in terms of the horizontal plane and the distance apart from the boom to the tips. Should the antenna boom be absolutely "level" for starters? Would you happen to know if 100+ year old slate seriously deflects or impedes signals. I'm getting the notion that all the variable influences like the exact angle of a roof make compensation really tricky under a roof. I won't rule out a rooftop experiment some fine day. Your advice for mast integrity up there is very compelling. Quite a project, though not as daunting as the hilltop I guess. As I said that is quite a hike and the distance makes it sound like not many people would bother. I'll try to pace the distance out just to get a chuckle out of you. Maybe a solar powered T.V. "shack" there would be the best ultimate solution. Heh,heh.
Again I thank you for all this help. Your clear suggestions and instructions really build my confidence that OTA resolution is possible!
HP
herplace is offline   Reply With Quote