View Single Post
Old 5-Aug-2010, 8:30 PM   #1
nsjames

deep fringe ashland OH

So, I've been looking at the plots and RF guides.

I'm located in 44805, exactly between the transmitters of Cleveland and Columbus OH.

I decided that I'd rather shoot for Columbus, since I don't like cleveland sports, and the CLE FOX channel is VHF.

So I've picked up a 91XG antenna for UHF. It will be mounted on the top of my house, approx 35 feet up. My house is on a ridge and is higher than the immediate surroundings. If needed I could get another 10 feet of height, but I would have to make a mast and tripod for the roof.
I'll be using a mast mounted motorola preamp that I've got laying about. 15 DB

Gain from the antenna averages about 14 DB
with the preamp I'm at a total of about 27 DB of gain. I'll be pushing this through about 70 feet of RG6 to a single HDTV, no splitters or splices, save for the power injector for the pre amp.

NM for the Columbus stations with my antenna mounted on the roof is looking to be between 12 and 19.

Is this feasible? I get better NM from the Cleveland channels, but I would prefer the Columbus stations.

I also will assume that with my cable length and weak station signal that I will not run into any signal overload issues at the tuner. WHat's the strongest preamp I should consider if I get signal but it is dodgy? I will buy another preamp if I must, but trying to do this on the cheap with random stuff in my basement. I've read nothing but stellar reviews about the CM 7777 preamp for the deep fringe areas.

Last edited by nsjames; 5-Aug-2010 at 8:32 PM.
nsjames is offline   Reply With Quote