Thread: 91 XG Modified
View Single Post
Old 12-Jun-2020, 10:06 PM   #20
tripelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsgarage View Post
I will be merry when I get the results I want

So at least for UHF, I will have four ferrite cores on the coax? OK so far so good. Will I be limited to the length on the coax?
There is no absolute limit relative to length. Probably way down the coax would have little effect. You will be limited by the length of coax to your preamplifier.

Two ferrites, next to the junction and two ferrites centered over the 5.5 inch mark should be fine. That would mean the edge of one ferrite on the antenna side of a 5.5 inch mark and another one next to it down the coax.

Quote:
And what about the VHF? That should be a longer 1/4 wave right?
Yes, assuming your cable to preamp is 15 inches in length, or longer.

Quote:
...How should I configure the ferrite on that coax?
If you use four ferrites. Place two near the junction close together. Place the other two centered around 15 inches down the cable.

If you use three, then place two at the junction and one at 15 inches.

Quote:
So, 2 or 3 is enough? 4 is OK, but wont do much? As in "diminishing returns"?...
With calculations or computer simulations one could obtain an estimate of the available improvement, or indirectly measure it on a test bench.

After two or three ferrite cores on a cable, likely the signal strength improvement available with more ferrite is in the low tenths of a dB range.

Last edited by tripelo; 12-Jun-2020 at 10:10 PM. Reason: clarify
tripelo is offline   Reply With Quote