View Single Post
Old 18-Oct-2012, 5:44 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Have you tested reception outside?

Reliable reception starts with selecting enough antenna and a suitable mounting location.

As far as your choice of antennas, the HD7694P was a great choice that would cover both UHF and H-VHF. For UHF, the 91XG is plenty, with a capital 'P'.

Because the 91XG is more than enough antenna for the UHF signals east of you, including real CH-43, I don't believe an amplifier is indicated. Rather it suggests to me that your attic is not a suitable reception site. Something as simple as moisture buildup in the roofing material can significantly change the RF characteristics of the roof system. As the weather changes attic reception changes, sometimes quite negatively.

I agree with teleview's recommendation for outdoor mounting. If you still have the HD7694P, test reception outside with it. If not, I would wrestle the 91XG out of the attic and test with it clear of obstructions. Test with no amplifier, just antenna, cable & TV.

Amplifiers don't receive any signal by themselves, they only serve to overcome loss in the cable, splitter and other distribution system parts on the output side of the amplifier. They do not make antennas stronger, nor do they make poor antenna sites better.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote