View Single Post
Old 25-May-2014, 4:30 AM   #11
dmfdmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
televiews repeated caution to be sure there are no hidden faults in the cabling or connectors is correct and reasonable.
If you go back to the first post, I think he ruled out these kind of issues in that he was using a direct 100ft cable that worked fine in another location and he ran direct to the MCE/tuner and it has missing channels but running direct to a Vizio with an additional 50ft of cable and gets all the stations, weakest being 84%. His main mistake was using a power inserter on the ANT751 which does not have an in-built amp.

Quote:
There may be an insensitive tuner to blame here, but overlooking other problems is sure to complicate the situation further. Amplification is not a panacea, it can add problems that just compound other per-existing defects.
Agreed. But I think his testing has reasonably ruled out connection and margin issues. Perhaps the tuner card is defective.

Quote:
If an amplifier is truly needed, the CM-3410 is far more tolerant of strong signals. The levels shown on the TVFR in this case are not extremely strong, but there are a lot of them. An RCA TVPRAMP1R may handle them fine... But I know the CM-3410 will for sure.
Good to know. I agree the TV Fool report indicates decent but not great signals, so amplification may be necessary. The test in which he loses UHF but not VHF after 100 ft of cable to the MCE/tuner means that cable loss is impacting the reception. Nevertheless, it is odd that with 50 more feet of cable and a Vizio tuner can connect just fine.

Quote:
The noise performance of the CM-3410 is similar to most consumer grade preamps (based on my experience with it). Ideally, an amplifier is going to perform best if it's located close to the signal source, ahead of the loss it's to overcome.
Agreed. I think, based on the Vizio results at 150ft, he's got strong enough signals to amplify after 100ft of cable and as I suggested putting the CM-3410 at that point then feeding the MCE/tuner and the Vizio should work.
dmfdmf is offline   Reply With Quote