View Single Post
Old 24-May-2014, 5:24 PM   #9
dmfdmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
The CM-3410 can be used as a preamp if you can protect it from the weather. Here's an example of how I've done it, http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13659.
That looks really complicated ;-)

Its not clear to me when a pre-amp is needed vs a distribution amp. I thought a pre-amp was needed if you are trying to pickup very low-margin signals and needed to amplify them before sending them down the wire. The distribution amp would be needed if you have good margin but are trying to drive multiple TVs, long cable runs (possibly a house wired with the older RG59 and not RG6) and/or many splitters. Also, I don't know the specs on the CM-3410 but aren't pre-amps especially low noise (compared to distribution amps) so you don't lose weak signals at the antenna?

To the OP; I would run the 100ft cable from the antenna straight to the CM-3410 (no splitters, filters, power injectors, couplers, etc in the path) then distribute the amplified signal to your TV and other tuners from there and see how that works. No warranties expressed or implied, your mileage may very, etc. I wish I could be of more help.
dmfdmf is offline   Reply With Quote