View Single Post
Old 8-May-2014, 7:54 AM   #3
dmfdmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspartan View Post
Here is the setup I have. The Ant751 is on the peak of my garage mounted on the J-pole and base roughly 13' from the ground.
I think the ANT751 should work in your location. Rerun your TV Fool report for 25ft elevation. You currently have a mix of 1Edge and 2Edge signal paths and a few feet can make a big difference. You might have to extend your J-pole 3-4 ft to get a reliable signal if my comments below don't help resolve your issues.

Quote:
I have a 100' of coax (used previously with the monoprice antenna and worked superbly) running into my basement, then into the Monoprice power inserter...
I think this is the mistake here. The power inserter delivers power to the amp built into the Monoprice antenna (Can someone please confirm an internal amp as I am not familiar with this particular antenna?) The ANT751 does not have an amp built in so you are not getting any amplification.

Quote:
The Vizio gets everything direct or on the splitter, only PBS shows less that 100% strength and that's still at 84%.
This is good news, it means your antenna is providing a good pre-amplified signal even after a 100ft run of coax.

Quote:
The MCE machine and tuner gets Fox and NBC (9 and 11), but everything else is blocky/broken up and audio cuts in & out.
This was the big clue. These tuners are not as sensitive as the Vizio tuner and RG6 coax has about 5dB loss per 100ft in the UHF channels but only ~2dB loss per 100ft in the VHF channels which is why the RCH9 and RCH11 survive the trip from antenna. So the bottom line is you need a pre-amp or a distribution amp but I'll leave that to others to make a recommendation. My own thought is a pre-amp would be overloaded so close to the antenna but a distribution amp may not have enough quality signal to amplify after the 100ft run of coax or add too much noise. Perhaps someone with more expertise in this area can advise.
dmfdmf is offline   Reply With Quote