View Single Post
Old 27-Jul-2014, 2:22 AM   #3
Cotton

Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieS View Post
Greetings Cotton,
Am I understanding that you are using a common "two into one splitter" to combine antennas on the mast?

This looks like Antenna A coax to splitter on mast, Antenna B coax to splitter on mast, coaxes combined to single lead down into home.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is correct.

[/QUOTE]Your reception plot is very nice. If I had set this up, I'd have had both antennas as you have set them up. Antenna A runs dedicated lead into selectable A/B switch in house. Antenna B runs dedicated lead into house on A/B switch. This configuration creates antennas that are dedicated for Tri-Cities or Knoxville. From A/B switch feed 8 port Channel Master distribution amp. Each TV gets dedicated lead, no splitting a individual lead six times.[/QUOTE]

The amplifier is not an A/B switch setup. The amplifier feeds two lines all the time. I don't have a 8 port distribution amplifer instead it is a two port amplifier and one feeds to a single tv and the other feeds to a line that goes to six tv sets. I guess I should have gotten the 8 port distribution amplifier when my home was built in 1989. The owner of the electrical store sold me something that fits into an electrical box with a tv plug input on top and a fm connection in the bottom. It looks like a duplex electrcal outlet except has the fm and tv connections and am not sure what this setup is called. Anyway, the RG59 wire keeps going from one box to the next box in another bedroom and connects to all six rooms. I have always questioned if the store owner sold me something that was inferior to an 8 port distribution setup where individual wires goes to each bedroom. What is your opinion on this?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RCBX56/...ter_B00C9UJLOU

[/QUOTE]If I read your post right, both antennas are feeding into the same line. This can cause odd conflicts and cancelling out. If combing antennas normally one antenna handles VHF and the other UHF. This requires a VHF/UHF combiner.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, both antennas are feeding into the same line with the "two into one splitter". I have a RCA TVPRAMP1R Preamplifier Outdoor Antenna ordered that I may use for combining the two antennas so I won't have to use the "two into one splitter". Do you think this would be better than the inside the home amplifier I now have? Also, if I use the preamplifer at the mast could I continue using the amplifer inside the home.

[/QUOTE]The other way is what I outlined above a A/B switch on the system to keep antennas separate from each other.[/QUOTE]

If I use the RCA preamplifier maybe I won't have to use the A/B switch.

[/QUOTE]A test right now, without spending any money is to take single lead from antenna, feed into ONE TV and watch. If signals are stable and acceptable, this is a distribution problem. If signals aren't satisfactory, this may be an antenna or antenna location issue.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this tip I will try it and see how it works.

[/QUOTE]Are you shooting through trees?[/QUOTE]

Yes, there is a huge Beech Tree around 15 feet from the antennas. I have the antennas pointed to the side of the trunk of the tree so the antenna is not pointing directly into the tree.

Cheers.[/QUOTE]
Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote