View Single Post
Old 25-Jun-2016, 1:46 AM   #5
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Most of the time, I have 70-90% Signal Strength, 90-99% Signal Quality and 100% Symbol Quality, 60-80%.
That looks like SiliconDust HDHR readings. Symbol Quality of 60-80% is not good. That is uncorrected errors; your goal is 100%.

The problem is, the FEC (Forward Error Correction) has a limited ability to correct errors. Once that limit is exceeded, you have reached the "Digital Cliff" where you have pixilation, picture freeze, and finally dropout.

If the error correction ability is used to correct errors caused by the poor antenna location in the attic, and to correct errors caused by the terrain diffraction, there is very little left to correct the errors caused by the dynamic multipath from the aircraft.

My antenna is aimed across a street that has a lot of traffic, which causes dynamic multipath from signal interruption, but it only affects the weakest signals. The strongest signals, with few errors to correct, survive unharmed. I can tell the errors are being corrected, because the needle on my signal level meter dips when a vehicle goes by.

If you can get your antenna out of the attic, and higher, you might be able to improve your Symbol Quality.

Last edited by rabbit73; 25-Jun-2016 at 2:08 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote