View Single Post
Old 21-Sep-2011, 8:19 PM   #33
be236

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Using consumer grade (priced) equipment, you best hope for seeing any signals from Canada would be an Antennas Direct XG-91, their CPA-18 or CPA-19 preamp, mounted on a 5' tripod + 10' HD mast at the roof peak.

I would expect that you would see some signals, at least intermittently, weather and atmospheric conditions would often rule.

Mounting at eave height would likely rob you of precious signal.

(From Canada, I now see only CHEK-6)
Just last night, I got a good signal on CHEK-6 (less snowy than normal).. so just for fun, on my Artec box, I scanned on BC's DTV 17, 22, and 26 and got a 'signal' blimp, meaning some signal on it... gives me hope!

Yes, I do intend to get that XG-91 model, that seems the best UHF gain antenna (they claim 16.7db gain) to pick up deep fringe , which is my situation.

Once I order it, I can do a quick test by just putting it in my 2nd story room and aiming it outside my open window and connecting it with a 6 feet RG6 cable directly to my TV tuner (hence no need for an amplifier just yet, since I really dont have any signal loss downstream)...

SO, here's the deal.. currently my antenna is mounted on a fence post about 12 feet high that bypasses a big tree towards the direction of those BC stations.

If I mount it on the house rooftop, the big tree (about 50-60 feet tall big tree) will be in direct line-of-sight of the house and the stations. d'oh...

.. so which is better? Lower height, no tree, or higher height, but big tree with leaves about 30 feet away?
be236 is offline   Reply With Quote