View Single Post
Old 10-Apr-2012, 3:51 AM   #1
umalum99

New, Overwhelmed, and seeking antenna suggestions

Hi there.

Like many who have come before me, I am new to this forum. My husband and I are thinking of ditching Dish Network and going OTA within the next few months, so I'm starting research now. I continue to read various posts and websites about various antennas, and VHF/UHF, although I don't fully understand it all and it is tough to really weed out what is legit info vs info by those just trying to sell you something. Also, I still do not know what half the terminology means. I'm looking for recommendations on an antenna that might work for us.

Here is my TV Fool Report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...36162f0135584b

We want ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, and CW. I really want ESPN, but I know that won't be happening OTA. We live pretty close to the foot hills in Fort Collins, CO. The rear of our house faces south/southeast and backs to open space with a couple trees as obstructions. We have a split level house with one upper level, a main level, a lower level, and a basement. We would be connecting to a 2.5 year old Panasonic Viera plasma TV located on our main level, and would consider at some point hooking up a connection to a TV in our basement, but we could get by with streaming down there. I would prefer not to have a giant antenna hanging on the roof or off the side of the house, but realize that might not be possible. Ideally, I would like an attic mount (although I also have no idea how to tell if I could even mount one in my attic), or to reuse the mount for my current dish receiver if that is possible. The other major concern is the extremely high winds that rip through this area and finding an antenna that, if I must mount outside, can withstand the winds or not have my reception too affected by them. Is that even possible?

I hope this is enough information to get help from all of you. I'm curious about your thoughts on the EZ HD and Stacker Antennas, as well as other antennas you think I should be looking at and whether a pre-amplifier would be necessary. I'm eager to look at reviews and start gathering my information so I'm prepared when we make the switch in a few months.

Thank you in advance for all of your suggestions!
umalum99 is offline   Reply With Quote