View Single Post
Old 15-Feb-2015, 11:01 PM   #5
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Malley View Post
I was afraid someone would say something like that. I tried to weather-proof the connection with tape (lame, I know). The biggest problem is there is no way to reach the connection without removing the antenna. That's going to be a bit tricky.

Just to be clear: the matching transformer is the tube with the leads coming out that connect to the antenna on one end, with the coax connection on the other. How do I find a new one will that match my existing antenna if I'm not sure of the exact make and model?

Any matching transformer from a well-known manufacturer with 300 ohm wire terminals on one end and 75 ohm coaxial connector on the other end will work.

Is there anything I should do to weather proof the leads attaching to the antenna?

After the connection is clean and securely tightened you can seal the connection with some RTV silicone sealant. I use Permatex Blue RTV Silicone gasket maker #80022 because it is readily available at the local auto parts store and is inexpensive.

Can I run wires from the antenna to the top of the tower and have the transformer there so I can replace it, if need be, in a couple of years without having to take the antenna off the post?

It would be best not to do that. The transformer will work much better directly at the antenna.

Should I get a new grounding block where the cable enters the house? I know one side of the block was oxidized. How can I weather proof that or is there one built for outdoors?

If you have any doubts about the grounding block, go ahead and replace it. They are relatively inexpensive.

All outdoor antenna connections should be weatherproofed. As I mentioned before you can use RTV silicone sealant on screw type connections. For coaxial connectors I wrap them with silicone fusing tape which is usually available at your local home improvement store. I do not use rubber boots as I find the fusing tape is much better at keeping the connection water proof.

Thanks again for the help and advice.
Please see my comments above in bold type. Good luck!
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote