View Single Post
Old 20-Sep-2011, 6:41 PM   #17
be236

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtownsend View Post
You can try Solid Signal: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...lifier-(CPA19)

Just a few general comments:

>> The US went through some adjustments after the June 12, 2009 analog shutdown. The ERPs for several stations were increased as they fine tuned their new equipment and tried to improve reception. I suspect there will be some adjustment period for the Canadian broadcasters as well. You might see some ERPs go up as a result.

>> VHF stations will almost always be limited to ERPs below 100 kW. Even 50 kW is considered to be quite powerful for an ATSC (digital) signal in VHF. UHF stations can go over 100 kW, and Canada already has several of them (going up to about 470 kW).

>> Even in the days of analog-only television, I think we saw the same relative difference in Canadian vs. US ERPs. If everyone is simply trying to maintain the same coverage as they had before, then any analog ERP differences would naturally translate into equivalent digital ERP differences.
First point:

Ok, just to be clear, the "gain" listed for this pre-amp is downstream to prevent signal loss from the antenna to RF input of TV, right? It does NOT increase the actual signal gain of the antenna itself, correct?

I mean... suppose I have a UHF channel listed here at -5 dBm. This pre-amp claims to have +17 dBm gain for UHF. This does NOT mean I will get -5 + 17 = +12 dBm signal at the antenna, right?

Also, if I buy this from that site, what's their return policy in case it just doesnt work for me... am I just out "shipping cost?"

Second point:

Yeah, I noticed that.. US stations analog in VHF in Seattle was like at 800kW (see my earlier link), but now digital stations in VHF are like 50kw or so.. that's fine..

My grip is why Can stations UHF are so much lower than US... US UHF digital stations I see like 500 kW, but theirs is like 40kW, though CBUT 43 is at 100kW which is nice.. wonder why the other Vancouver stations not at 100kw.. :0
be236 is offline   Reply With Quote