View Single Post
Old 16-Dec-2009, 3:41 PM   #2
andy.s.lee
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabeatz View Post
We have a 25' tall antenna mounted outside, however it's about 30 years old. In fact so old that when I tried connecting the wires to it, the bolts it connects to actually crumbled off. Some of the elements are split off and I don't believe it's functioning properly. I did the best I could to wire that one up just to test what I could get with it, and was unable to pull any signal with my TV (built in digital tuner).
Do you have a picture of the antenna? That will help us identify what you currently have.

Quote:
Here are my TVFool Signal Analysis Results
Thanks. This is very helpful.

Quote:
BLUE/VIOLET for the antenna type? This seems kind of extreme.. I was looking antennas up online and to get a UHF/VHF antenna in the 'BLUE' Category the boom length would be between 120" and 180", which to me seems to be a MASSIVE antenna. I need the VHF to pick up WESH-DT, which is important to me.
Yes, at 24 miles, blue and violet does seem to be way off base. Antennaweb is off sometimes, but this seems to be even more wrong than usual.

Your signals do seem to be quite strong, and they are all clustered together, with the exception of WVEN (Univision) and WOPX (ION). For this kind of situation, I'd recommend any basic VHF/UHF combo antenna like the Channel Master 3016 or Winegard 7694P pointed at around 109ยบ compass heading.

If you plan on splitting the signal many ways or if you have problems with multi-path, then you can up-size the antenna a bit to help on both accounts, but chances are, this won't be necessary. Are there lots of tall buildings between you and the transmitters that might give you multi-path problems?

Your signals are so strong that I think for experimental purposes, you can try a simple rabbit ears and loop. There's a good chance you'll get most of the channels in the green zone on your tvfool report.

The rooftop is better of course. With roof antennas you won't be affected by things like people walking by or accidentally bumping the antenna. Being up higher also keeps the antenna above most of the "clutter" that interferes with, blocks, or reflects TV signals.

Best regards,
Andy
andy.s.lee is offline   Reply With Quote