View Single Post
Old 13-Jul-2012, 6:54 PM   #1
wooddealer

85 mile reception of single station...any hope?

I live in the west Chicago suburbs and receive the Chicago TV stations beautifully. However, I am also a big Green Bay Packers fan, and on the frequent occasions that the Chicago TV stations are showing the Bears at the same time as the Packers I'd have to subscribe to the Sunday Ticket via Direct TV to watch the Packers. That's too expensive in my book, so instead I'm investigating trying to receive the FOX affiliate from Milwaukee which is ~85 miles away.

WITI (Milwaukee's Fox affiliate) broadcasts on RF channel 33, so I am toying with the idea of building a Yagi antenna designed for 587 Mhz and mounting it to my chimney, about 20-25 feet off the ground. The Chicago Fox affiliate broadcasts on RF channel 31, even though the yagi is directional could it be overpowered by nearby signals?

Is this a realistic endeavor or am I wasting time? Do I need additional hardware, signal booster, or something else to make this possible? I don't care about any other stations from Milwaukee, maybe if this works I'd consider doing it again for the CBS affiliate in Milwaukee, but since most of the games are broadcast on FOX I thought that would be the smartest thing to try first.

Thanks for the advice and help.
wooddealer is offline   Reply With Quote