View Single Post
Old 18-Nov-2013, 7:15 PM   #6
StephanieS

Both these signals at -7.1 db and -10.7 are in the 'extreme' category, which means these signals are exceptionally weak and require some heavy hitting equipment and luck. By heavy hitting, we are talking towers of heights 50' and above. Sometimes you get lucky with negative db signals, however more often than not for someone not wanting to spend $200 or more, these won't be reliable.

I have a -5.0 db signal that is through a 2-edge situation that I do see a signal on. Additionally, there is a -15db gray area signal which I also see a signal on. Like the -5.0 signal, that one I've never locked on either.

My beam is a Antennas Direct 91XG. It's a great UHF only beam. Currently, it provides mostly stable reception of a 7.0 db signal at 55 miles and 1-edge conditions. We had snow and bad weather last weekend, so the signal was more flakey than usual. Weather, especially bad winter weather can disrupt weak signals. Not to mention cause icing on transmitting antennas which makes them reduce transmission power. If your signal is a 3.0 db and the transmitter reduces power by half, you will likely lose reception.

A central point here is that with the most directional and aggressive consumer UHF beam, at my location I've not locked on a negative db signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluetaxi View Post
I would like to get KFVS and KBSI which are some of the first channels in the Grey list however these is not a deal breaker.

Last edited by StephanieS; 18-Nov-2013 at 7:22 PM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote