View Single Post
Old 6-Jul-2017, 2:00 PM   #19
rickbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgagne99 View Post
Is that cliff and the corresponding shadow from the terrain report real? The topography databases sometimes include trees, which although bad, probably aren't nearly as dramatic an effect as the terrain profile plots suggest.

Also rickbb, I think he's after WVIT (NBC, ch35, 24 miles) and WFSB (CBS, Ch33, 28.7 miles) not WRGB (CBS, Ch6, 90 miles)
The closer CBS has a worse NM -1.2 which will make it harder to get than the further one. My bad on the NBC, it is close, but still a low NM and Kw at the antenna will make it hard to get.

The terrain profiles are real but the elevations are exaggerated in the graph to make them easier to read. They DO NOT include trees or buildings, just topographic data from the USGS.

They also do not include tropospheric effects. Sometimes you can get a signal from very far away as it's "bounced" off of the ionosphere. It's how I used to listen to Chicago radio stations late at night here in North Carolina back in the AM radio days. But it only came in at night when the atmosphere was in the shadow of the suns RF interference.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote