Thread: Antenna options
View Single Post
Old 31-Aug-2015, 7:27 PM   #38
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

If you click on the pending button in your report you will see that you have not 2 but 3 local strong channels; CHCH on real channel 29 from London has been added.

ADTech suggested that you order the Juice preamp because he thought it would tolerate your strong local signals while providing amplification for the much weaker Detroit signals if you amplified UHF and VHF signals. As you found out the Juice is backordered because of a manufacturing parts shortage.

If you want to amplify just the C5 VHF signals and let the DB8E provide the extra gain for the UHF signals, you would need to use a UHF/VHF combiner AKA UVSJ, that would pass power to the VHF only amp. The AD combiner can't do that, but there are UVSJs that will as pointed out by Tim in post #29.

There is a test that you can do now to see if your preamp can receive Fox on real channel 7 if it is protected from the strong local UHF signals from Oil Springs and London.

I suggest you try just the C5 connected to the VHF input of the combiner with the DB8E not connected to the combiner.

C5 > combiner > preamp > coax > power inserter > tuner

You can also add an FM filter between the combiner and the input of the preamp if you think the FM filter in the preamp isn't enough to attenuate your strong local FM signals. See attachment for an FM report based on my estimate of your location. You can do your own report using your exact address to see how close I came (southern edge of Sherwood Village):
http://www.fmfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29

How does the DB8E do on the Detroit signals (Not including Fox) without the amp? Are you satisfied with the results?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sl1982TVF FM est2.JPG (116.0 KB, 841 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 1-Sep-2015 at 11:54 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote