View Single Post
Old 20-Sep-2017, 8:31 PM   #3
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

I did see your thread when you first posted, but I didn't think I had any useful answers for you. As you are aware, I have already answered similar question in previous threads that you have linked. I will give you my thoughts now just to let you know that someone was paying attention.

If you look at the Views column, you will see that your thread was looked at 129 times.

Quote:
(1)Do I remove 1 of the lightning rods of the protection system where the antenna is installed with an eve mount to avoid conflict?Meaning instead of the lightning rod in that section of the roof being the highest point,now the tv antenna is.
That's a bad idea. You would compromise the lightning protection system. The grounding for lightning protection and the grounding for a TV antenna are not equivalent. The lightning protection system is designed to carry high strike currents; the TV grounding is not. The TV grounding is only designed to drain a buildup of static charge to discourage a strike. A strike would destroy the TV grounding.
Quote:
2)Do I mount the antenna near where the home electrical service is installed and ground the antenna and mast to the home electrical panel ground rod?
That is what the NEC intended, but I can't predict how it might interact with the lightning protection system during a storm.

If the antenna is outside, the coax shield should be grounded with a grounding block that is connected to the house electrical system ground with 10 gauge copper wire for electrical safety and to reject interference. For further compliance with the electrical code (NEC), the mast should also be grounded in a similar manner to drain any buildup of static charge which will tend to discourage a strike, but the system will not survive a direct strike.

Quote:
(3) Would a tripod mount be recommended if the home lighting protection system rods are to be left alone and mount the antenna in between the rods?
I'm not too keen on that idea. If the TV antenna is higher, it might take a strike.

Antenna System Bonding and Grounding Requirements
http://www.reeve.com/Documents/Artic...ents_Reeve.pdf

Quote:
So far, I'm at the point of eventually attempting the install on a seperate garage from the house that doesn't have lightning rods installed.
That might work. An attic installation might also work if the signal attenuation in the attic isn't too high.

Last edited by rabbit73; 20-Sep-2017 at 10:31 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote