View Single Post
Old 31-Dec-2013, 8:31 PM   #4
StephanieS

Hello Dacii1966,

I like to ask what your reception criteria is? What stations do you want to receive?

Elmo gives you great advice in that you need more than just an antenna that does UHF. Philadelphia not only has low band VHFs MeTV (KJWP) and ABC (WVPI). There is also hi-band VHF PBS (WHYY). The rest are then UHF. That requires antenna that is suited to the three reception bands.

If I were content with Philadelphia broadcasts exclusively, I might opt for a Antennacraft C290 mounted above the roof with an unobstructed view orientated to magnetic 65. I would expect to see all Philadelphia broadcasts with the exception of perhaps the red shaded signals.

The attic mount is not favored for a multitude of reasons. First, it introduces a solid object the broadcast signals must pass through which is not ideal. Second, in introducing that solid object a layer of unpredictability can develop. Signals can bounce around causing multipath and degrading reception. Lastly, anything approaching 20db strength is prone to having problems. This is especially important in your situation because you already have 1-edge conditions. With your roof, you are creating 2-edge conditions with majority signals at your property arriving in the 20-30 db range.

Attics also, if you are trying for weaker signals approaching single digit db strength, you likely won't see them. The red shaded signals will not be able to pass through roof and be reliable.

For best chances of reliable reception of these 1-edge moderate signals mounting on the roof is highly suggested.

If you are intent on an attic installation, I recommend a larger more aggressive antenna. In these scenarios since signals have been further degraded by passing through your roof, you have to compensate for that loss with higher gain antenna.

For an attic installation I would step up to an Antennacraft CCS1233 to attempt to compensate for attic conditions. With the hope I would see the majority of the yellow shaded Philadelphia signals.

You also have an opportunity for a couple of Lancaster stations: NBC and FOX. If you are interested in those signals, that would require an separate antenna for reception. I might choose a Channel Master CM3020 orientated to magnetic 315. The strong channel master is selected to attempt reception of Lancaster' WLYH (CW) in addition to NBC and FOX.

I would run each antenna with a separate coax leading to a A/B switch inside your home that allows you to toggle between antennas. This allows you to orientate your antenna at its needed heading perminently and negates the need for a rotor.

In the end though, what are your goals with reception?

Last edited by StephanieS; 31-Dec-2013 at 9:12 PM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote