View Single Post
Old 19-Sep-2015, 8:36 PM   #9
bebo189

Still looking for help

So, I'm still no closer to figuring out the specific type of antenna I should get.

ADTech suggested a 4-Bay antenna with the reflectors removed. I'm not exactly sure what a 4-Bay/Bowtie antenna is and what reflectors are and do. Also, what is a VHF element, and how is one added to an existing antenna?

Am I correct in my assumption that a 4-Bay/Bowtie antenna is a multi-directional (but not omni directional) antenna? Also, does multi-directional mean that the antenna can receive signals from multiple directions at the same time, or multiple directions when moved to those directions?

My concern is that I have signals almost 180 degrees apart. Would a 4-Bay/Bowtie antenna allow my to receive all those signals from the two main directions that are 180 degrees apart? The description for this antenna seems to indicate as much, but I'm not 100% sure. If so, how does it work or how would this be accomplished? Do you aim different bays towards the different directions? What would the tolerance/range in each direction be?

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm a mechanical engineer (not as knowledgeable on electronics/antennas), so I want to understand as best as I can how the antenna I buy will work.
bebo189 is offline   Reply With Quote