View Single Post
Old 15-Feb-2011, 6:07 AM   #9
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

Loop is , the coax starts at a place and goes to a outlet and from that outlet a coax goes to another outlet and from that outlet a coax goes to another outlet and so forth , looping from one to next , loop is not a good way to wire. . Home run is sometimes called star wiring , from one place a coax wire goes out to a outlet and from that same one place a coax wire goes out to outlet and from that same one place a coax wire goes out to a outlet and so forth , this the best way to do wiring. . Connect the antenna coax directly to the coax that goes to the living room , NO Splitter , now connect the tv in the living room , if you have bad reception then you know there is problem with the coax that goes to the living room , so you get thinking , what can be the problem , a bad connection , so you get to thinking , how can a connection be bad , and you get to thinking , if I look in the connector on the end of the coax and I see that the outer shielding and shield wires are pushed in toward the center conductor and might be touching the center conductor then that would 'short out the circuit' and reduce reception. And then you get to thinking I can push outer foil shielding and shield wires away from the center conductor. And then you get to thinking how can I find bad sections of coax and a idea pops into your head , I can use substitute coax to 'jump around' sections of coax that from the antenna coax connection to the final connection at the Tv and that way I prove that coax is bad or connectors bad or a splitter is bad , and then you get thinking , well maybe one of them other coaxes is bad that go from the splitter to a location in the house , so you disconnect all of them except the one that goes to living room as a way to figure out if the splitter is bad or not. . And you pop your suspenders and say I found the problem.

Last edited by John Candle; 15-Feb-2011 at 5:40 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote