View Single Post
Old 30-Sep-2014, 6:01 PM   #5
StephanieS

I'm glad you are open to a rooftop installation. By mounting outdoors, you are improving your chances of reliable reception through your geographical and foliage obstacles. You may not have 100% reliability, due to the trees, but you are giving your antenna(s) a much more favorable situation to work.

From your description of your surroundings I would go a little stronger of a set up than would normally be required. This means a two antenna system. One for VHF channels on real 8 and 10. The other for UHF.

Antenna 1: Antennas Direct DB8e. Both panels aimed at magnetic 73
Antenna 2: Antennacraft Y5713 aimed to magnetic 71
Antennas Direct EU385CF mast mounted signal combiner.
Run single lead of coax into home to CM 3414 distribution amp.

I would not install a preamp. Instead I would favor the Channel Master 3414 4 port distribution amplifier to split the signal. There is a chance of enough signal being present that I'd rather the amplification be at the split rather than at the mast to avoid any potential overloading since the antennas would be pointed right at the signals you want in addition to that 70db CW signal. There are a few tolerant preamps that handle high inputs, however I wouldn't be comfortable installing a preamp with a 70db signal nearby.

Cheers.

Last edited by StephanieS; 30-Sep-2014 at 6:03 PM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote