View Single Post
Old 18-Nov-2013, 6:26 PM   #4
StephanieS

Greetings Thebluetaxi,

Your radar plot offers some challenges, but is doable overall.

First thing you need to realize is that you have low band VHF in WMC-TV on channel 5 so that puts you into a more specialized antenna. Many of the low-band model supporting (channels 2-6) antennas have been discontinued because in most markets low band VHF is obsolete.

That said, what are your goals? What are the signals you want? Big four and PBS? You have 4 distinctive directions that signals are arriving at you from. Also, are you going to be running a long coax and splitting to multiple TVs?

I would start with a Winegard model HD8200U pointed at magnetic 182. This ought give you CW, NBC. If you add a RCA TVPRAMP1R preamp at the same heading, you have a reasonable chance at FOX, CBS and ABC (WBBJ).

Now this is where you have a choice: using a rotor or to not use a rotor. I say this because if I were in your position a rotor has an appeal because it allows via a single antenna the flexibility, and most importantly, appropriate reception capability for all the signals available to you. If a rotor is not the way you want to go, you are looking at least a 2 antenna solution with one being pointed at magnetic 182 and another at magnetic 242 or thereabouts for coverage ABC (KAIT) and PBS (KTEJ). If operating two antennas, I would make them both Winegard model HD8200U's.

It is probably cheaper and less stressful for you to consider the rotor option and a single antenna solution. I would suggest this due to 4 different directions broadcast signals are transmitting from.

These signals in your plot will require you to have the antenna mounted outdoors, preferably on your roof or someplace high free of obstructions as best as possible to conduct reception tests. For signals shaded in red, the only reasonable chance at reception will be outside and as high as you can get the antenna.

It's reasonable to expect to see (highlights):
FOX (WJKT)
FOX (WHBQ)
ABC (KAIT)
ABC (WBBJ)
NBC (WMC)
CBS (WREG)
PBS (KTEJ)
CW (WLMT)

Keep in mind many of these signals are coming from 2 edge obstructed pathways, thus they may vary quite a bit in strength during the day and drop in and out. Thus, it is suggested a good preamp is necessary to aide in your reception. A high quality low cost unit is the RCA TVPRAMP1R. You'll find that especially for the red shaded signals preamps can help minimize signal drop outs. They may not eliminate them, but they can reduce them, sometimes greatly.

Good luck! You have some thinking to do about what signals are priorities.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote