View Single Post
Old 30-Jun-2014, 1:56 PM   #4
StephanieS

If CW is a priority, then Raleigh may be the best option for UHF. Now is where we start to have fun with putting together a system that gives you the most options.

Further if an A/B switch is off the table, then in a single downlead configuration I would do a two antenna system:

Antennas Direct DB8e: No VHF kit. UHF reception only. Recommend both panels dedicated to Raleigh for reception of everything out of that market except ABC. Raleigh's signals are sufficiently weak to require the DB8e's full gain and focus on those signals. Orientate antenna to magnetic 314 (NW). The 91XG I wouldn't use here because the 1-edge conditions and the DB8e's larger reception surface.

Antennacraft HBU11: This is a small suburban combination VHF/UHF antenna. For this application VHF reception is all that will be used. This will focus on the stronger VHF signals WCTI ABC from Jacksonville/Greenville along with WNCT CBS from the same market. This antenna has a "wide net" so to speak meaning it's beam is reasonably wide. Orientated to magnetic 100, I'd expect see reliably both ABC and CBS. In this configuration a Y10713 is overkill for these VHFs.

In effect, we are using two antennas to combine the best of the two markets into the most serviceable set up. Also, unless using beams like the 91XG, various antennas have differing beamwiths. This means they can receive well if not pointed dead on a transmitter. The HBU11 as mentioned above allows for a wider beamwith thus the ability to be 20 degrees off each VHF from Jacksonville/Greenville.

Purchase a Antenna's Direct EU385CF signal combiner. Run jumper from DB8e to UHF input, run jumper from HBU11 to VHF input. Both signals are combined into one coax coming into your system.

The major networks I would expect in this configuration:
ABC WCTI Jacksonville/Greenville
CBS WNCT Jacksonville/Greenville
CBS WRAL Raleigh
CW WLFL Raleigh
NBC WNCN Raleigh
FOX WRAZ Raleigh
MyN WRDC Raleigh

You may see others off the back from Jacksonville/Greenville, that depends on local factors though. As as baseline, the above list is what I'd expect.

When mounting on the mast put DB8e on the top, with the HBU11 4' below. Also, you don't need a preamp in this configuration.
Cheers.

Last edited by StephanieS; 30-Jun-2014 at 2:12 PM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote