View Single Post
Old 13-Apr-2019, 12:16 PM   #12
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

K T 200 Vs. L N A 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Pete Higgins gave a report of his LNA200 tests on another forum. He wasn't any more impressed with its performance than ADTech was: it's an OK preamp, but not as good as Winegard says.

The Kitztech KT-200 has a low noise figure that might improve the reception of weak signals, but it is not likely to make your signals stronger. If you buy it, get the KT-200 with the outdoor enclosure.

I am planning to make some tests, if I have the time. My concern is about the voltage to the preamp since it uses a 5V power supply. A long coax run might cause the voltage to drop too low for proper operation.

I tested the CM7777HD for voltage drop. It can go as low as 4V measured at the preamp. I don't like the enclosure for the 7777HD; it doesn't seem like a good design for outdoor use. I use it indoors.
Hello Rabbit,

I'm glad I revived this thread. I'm hoping that others can learn from your comments and the original testing. It would also be great to see your updated testing of the LNA 200.

So, how do you test those? Will you be testing for overload and Noise?

You may have seen my posts about the pc-based Spectrum analyzer that Pete Higgins introduced to these groups. I'm wondering if I can use it to compare the LNA 200 to the KT 200?

It doesn't surprise me that Winegard overstated the overload and noise figures. Isn't that the same company who came out with their 7 through 69 series of antennas right after we went to 51 channels? Sorry I couldn't resist that!

When I bought my LNA 200 I wasn't a member of this forum yet, otherwise I probably wouldn't have purchased it. I had seen it on Amazon and Solid signal but my local electronics store had one on the shelf for a surprisingly lower price, I think I paid $30 for it. Impulse Buy!

I actually never used it until recently when I set up my new array and since I had 50 ft of cable I figured I would use it to boost the signal through all the losses of the cable, splitter etcetera.

So, staying on topic, if the KT 200 has .4 DB of noise and LNA-200 is somewhere around 2 to 3 DB of noise, wouldn't that help a little?

bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote