View Single Post
Old 18-Apr-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
drew1942

Question Help with OTA in Ann Arbor two different directions

here is the TVfool report for my location
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0857f78caef

I am at 48103 zip code in Ann Arbor and I want to get all Detroit Stations ( all on uhf except Ch2 now moved to 7 on VHF) and the Toledo PBS stations 30.1,30.2,30.3.
Detroit is 35 miles away and Toledo is 42 miles away as the crow flies.

I tried an indoor antenna in my attic ( I have only one TV) that worked wonders for my friend in Ypsilanti 10 miles away. She got everything I wanted with that antenna and drove three Tvs with it ( Of course she used a winegard 100 preamp) It just gave me 5 channels but then I have a stucco house and the wire mesh in the stucco may have blocked the signal

I have a two storey house moderately wooded at the back but not in the front.
I am thinking of getting an Antenna Direct db8e and pointing one array towards Detroit and the other towards Toledo and coupling each of them with the VHF reflector assembly that Antenna direct also has. Of course

I also plan to use a winegard LNA 200 preamp.Here there is some question whether I should use the 10G221 Antennacraft preamp instead because of reports that the Winegard unit is not well shielded

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13636

I have several questions about this setup. First I have heard mixed reports about using the db8e multi directionally. It works wonders for some and not for others. The other issue is the loss due to the various combiners involved including combining each VHF reflector assembly with each half of db8e array.

The only VHF channel I am concerned with is Ch 2 from Detroit ( moved to 7) so if this combo does not give me what I want I may add an Antennacraft Yagi 5-7-13 that goes 60 miles for VHF) and add an antenna direct UHF VHF combiner. It is my least favorite channel anyway except for the 2.2 sub channel movies, so I may just not to choose the VHF reflectors at all if they end up attenuating the UHF signals I want

It might be overkill,but I can't afford to experiment as the installer will charge at least $150 and up for his time.

Also I do not want to use a rotor in this part of the country as they both jam and rust especially in the cold. That is why I want to work with antennas in two different directions

Any thoughts anyone?

Last edited by drew1942; 19-Apr-2015 at 2:49 PM.
drew1942 is offline   Reply With Quote